If you're an online retailer selling goods or services, there are a number of things you should be doing on your website. A recent report from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) found that 62 of 156 popular shopping websites were not fully complying with the appropriate regulations.
Websites selling goods or services are subject to E-Commerce Regulations and Distance Selling Regulations. If you manage an online shop, here are five tips from the OFT on ensuring compliance:
- Include a full geographic address if payment is made in advance
- Provide an email address for customer queries (not just a contact form)
- State any compulsory charges before the checkout
- Clearly explain customers' rights if they want to cancel
- Provide a full refund and refund of delivery costs if things go wrong